Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Hannah stands by Planned Parenthood


So Congress just passed a vote to suspend federal financing for Planned Parenthood and I am so angry that I want to go and give Congress one big collective kick to the dick. Since that's not a real thing that I can do, I'm just going to bitch about it on here. I know, you're super excited to know my thoughts on all of this. Its going to be super long, because I have a lot of thoughts on the matter.

I'm going to dive headfirst into this and hit the most controversial topic first. Abortion. Lots of people hate it, and its the main reason that people want Planned Parenthood to shrivel up and die. Let me be clear on this, I am 100% pro-choice. If you want to have an abortion, you should be able to get one safely, and nobody should be able to judge you for your decisions. Because that decision doesn't involve ANYBODY ELSE. Seriously y'all, if a woman that you don't know decides that she is not ready to have a baby and chooses to get an abortion, it has absolutely no impact on your life. The only people involved in that choice should be the woman, the man who she had sex with, and their doctor. YOU DON'T GET TO BE INVOLVED BECAUSE IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU. I have no experience with it, but I can't imagine anything more terrifying than an unplanned pregnancy, especially if you're in a situation where you're not emotionally or financially stable enough to take care of a baby. Yes, adoption is a thing, but from what I can tell pregnancy is a nightmare, and a huge inconvenience. If a woman isn't ready to be pregnant, it should be her choice on how to handle the situation. And don't give me that bullshit about how if someone isn't ready to face the consequences of sex then they shouldn't be having it. I can't think of a single guy that I know who is ready to be a dad, but they're all having sex. Sex is awesome. I am sexually active, but I'm also not ready to be a mom. I'm on birth control, but it is not fool proof. Oh and another thing about abortions. If they are made illegal again, its not like people are going to stop having them. They're just going to be waaaaaaaay more sketchy and dangerous. Why is this so hard for people to understand?! Drugs are illegal, but people still do them. Women will still get abortions, but its going to be some back alley shit with hangers and knitting needles and that's not a good look for anyone. Planned Parenthood offers a safe and supportive environment for someone to make a really difficult decision, and then go through with it. My final thought on abortions is one of pure rage, because if you take away a woman's choice when it comes to her right to terminate a pregnancy (before its even a viable fetus) then you are basically giving more rights to a sea monkey than an adult woman, who you then expect to raise a child. THAT IS NOT OK. 

So you don't want to get an abortion, but you still want to have sex without getting pregnant. That's where birth control comes in. Birth control is awesome, but for some reason (religion) a lot of people hate it too. This is mind boggling to me, because if you don't want me to get an abortion but also don't want to give me a way to have safe sex, then I don't really know what you want from me. One of the coolest things about Planned Parenthood is the fact that you can get free birth control, even without insurance. That's awesome, because that shit can get up to $50 per month, which is expensive and dumb. I recently went to Planned Parenthood and got a year's worth of birth control all at one time for free. That is so awesome and convenient. Is Congress going to start paying for my birth control if that goes away?! Unless there is a serious medical discovery soon, this is something that men will never have to deal with, which is why it makes me so angry that a bunch of old men are trying to make it harder to get birth control. And its not even about babies. Birth control can help people with really bad acne, menstrual cramps, and a whole list of stuff. I went to college with a girl who could barely function when she was on her period because her cramps were so bad, but they were soooooooo much better once she got on birth control.

When I was 20, I had an abnormal pap smear. There was a very high possibility that I had cervical cancer, and I had to have a biopsy and a bunch of other tests done. Luckily this was when I was in college, so I had free medical care through the school. But if I wasn't in school, wasn't insured and there was no options like Planned Parenthood? This was already one of the most stressful moments of my life, the added financial burden would have made it a nightmare.  PLANNED PARENTHOOD DOES THAT SHIT FOR FREE, AND IF ITS NOT FREE THEN ITS SUPER AFFORDABLE. Planned Parenthood also provides medical services for low income people that have nothing to do with pregnancy. They test for anemia, do cholesterol screenings, diabetes screenings, flu shots, physicals, thyroid screenings, STD testing,  and bunch of other stuff that I'm too lazy to read off of the website. MEN AND WOMEN CAN BENEFIT FROM PLANNED PARENTHOOD. The medical testing done by Planned Parenthood is awesome, and it is a huge weight taken off of someone's shoulders when they don't have to pay for something. Because when a procedure or a routine test is expensive and you have to decide between that and food or putting gas in the car, chances are you're not going to pick going to the gynecologist's office. This can cause you to miss out on some pretty important health stuff. I don't understand why people want that to be taken away from someone.

Planned Parenthood is so much more than abortions, and I think we should all stand behind them. They offer nothing but love and support to every single person who walks through their doors, why can't we give some of it back?


1 comment:

  1. This post speaks so much truth that many people unfortunately do not want to accept as the truth.

    ReplyDelete