Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Things I learned in 2013

2013 was a weird year. It wasn't awesome, it wasn't shitty, it was just really bizarre. So here are some things that I learned:

1. Think before you speak 
I've never really had a filter. I usually say what's on my mind, and its a big joke with my family because physically I also have a huge mouth (like it shocks dental health professionals because its gigantic) so it never surprises anyone when I say something ridiculous. I've never had anyone really get mad at me for something that I said until this year. I said something very dumb, and it ruined a relationship I had with someone I cared about a lot as both a lover (God I hate that word, but what else do you call it?) and as a friend. That sucks, but it taught me a lot. So in 2014 I will think before I speak.

2. I am a terrible listener. 
I don't know if its because I'm not in school anymore or what, but holy shit I suck at listening. Its gotten really bad. Like people will be talking to me and I will actively stop listening to them. Then they walk away and I'm like "shit. I hope that wasn't important because I have no idea what they were talking about". I'm no career expert, but I'm going to say that being a good listener is a pretty important life skill, so in 2014 I will work on being a better listener.

3. I am super adaptable. 
Seriously, I'm like a fucking chameleon. You put me into any situation and I will be friends with everyone in about 45 seconds. Ok, that's not true. You put me into any situation and I spend 2-3 days feeling everyone out, then by the end of day 3 I have BFFs. This is an incredibly helpful skill in a work environment, so in 2014 I am not going to be changing a damn thing, and I will try to carry this over into South Dakota. 

4. I am very easy to talk to. 
I realize that this goes against #2, but the majority of the people who talk to me don't know that I stopped listening 5 minutes ago. I don't know what it is about me, but strangers always think that I am the person that they need to tell their stories to. This happened way more often in Hawaii, but it also carried over to work. I've always worked places with a really small staff, and have always been a manager favorite so it never really surprised me when I knew all the work gossip. However, P.F. Chang's has a giant staff and i still knew all the gossip, so in 2014 I will accept the fact that people are always going to want to share things with me, and I will try to be a better listener. 

5. I am not very good at planning. 
This one doesn't really need much of an explanation. Real life, I don't plan shit. When I am asked about my future, my most common answers are "I don't know" and "I'll figure it out". So in 2014 I will try to set some goals for myself. Then possibly achieve them, but really that might be left for 2015. 

6. I am TERRIBLE at being a grown up. 
I'm bad at remembering to call people, I'm bad at remembering to set up appointments, I'm bad at feeding myself…….you get the idea. In college it was always sort of a joke, but 2013 was the year I figured out that I'm like the definition of a lady-child. So in 2014, I will try to be better at being a grownup. 

7. I am bad at taking care of myself. 
Hawaii is an athletic person's paradise (ocean activities, hiking, etc) and I didn't do shit. I mean I swam a lot, but nothing too exciting. So in 2014, I will get my shit together and get back into fighting shape. I mean, I'm in Spearfish, South Dakota. What else am I going to do with my life?







No comments:

Post a Comment