Saturday, April 5, 2014

Hannah's a Flagstaff hood rat.

Oh Flagstaff. Thank you for greeting this happy little hood rat the only way you know how, with a night of friends, Electric Kingdom, face paint, an awkward cab ride, and a slightly sketchy walk in the dark. Full on magic.

For those of you who don't know, Electric Kingdom is held at a bar in town called the Green Room on the first Friday of every month. Its full of drink specials, really loud electronic music and face paint. It also happens to be one of my favorite things in the entire world, and I was way too excited when I figured out I would be in town for it. Before heading down to EK, I met up with one of my very best friends at a party so I could meet her boyfriend. He and I are now BFFs. He's basically the male version of me, and I hope he and Lorraine get married because he is fabulous. Anyway. After the party Lorraine dropped Alex and I off at the Green Room, and then she headed home.

In his desire to impress his lady friend's bestie (me), Alex paid for everything. Cover charge, coat check, drinks, he even tipped the face painters. This detail will be very important later on in this story. After grabbing something to drink, our first stop was the face paint. In all the times I've been to EK, I have never been disappointed with the artists. I always get a dinosaur, and it is always the coolest thing in the entire world. Not so much last night. The chick started painting on my arm, and I was like "as long as the dinosaur has sharp teeth, I'm good". She stops painting and goes "well I was going to do a brontosaurus, but we can add some teeth". Bitch are you kidding me. For starters, a brontosaurus never actually existed. Second, you can't just be adding sharp teeth to everything. So the dinosaur ended up being a hot mess. One person thought it was a fish, another person thought it was a bird…….Lord have mercy it was terrible. I don't care how cool your space dress was, face paint lady, you should be ashamed. There was even a picture of a dinosaur on the hat I was wearing, so she literally had no excuse. Alex decided that he wanted to be Captain America, and his face paint was hilarious. Electric Kingdom also has a photo area, so you best believe a lot of pictures were taken. I also got a picture with one of my other homies, and I am way too excited for those babies to be uploaded to Facebook.

Then we went to the dance floor, and it was a hoot. We are terrible dancers, and Alex's dance lessons involved him telling me to "dance like a basketball player. Dribble, dribble, dribble, SHOOT!!!" There was also a lot of forceful backing up into unsuspecting dancers, which I don't think they appreciated very much, but long hair don't care. Alex then decided that he needed to set me up with someone, and I mentioned that a guy from the party earlier that night was pretty cute. An attempt was made to get him to EK, but the line was very long and it didn't work out. He did say that I was cute though, so that was a bit of an ego boost. Around 1:00 am, I was so full of PBR I was about to explode, and I decided to call it a night.

Its been a hot second since I had to get a cab in Flagstaff, and I forgot how big of a pain in the ass it is. I  finally flagged one down, and was a happy camper. I get a little paranoid about cabs because one time I got locked in one in Paris because my friend and I didn't have enough money, so I always check to make sure I have the dollars as soon as I get in. So I'm looking through my clutch and……………..NO DEBIT CARD, NO CASH. Whomp whomp. Yeah, turns out I left it at home, so thank goodness Alex had paid for everything. I had been in the cab for about 2 minutes when I made this discovery, and I was like "uhhhhh………….so it turns out I don't have my debit card. If you want to let me out I can walk" (its not a terrible walk to my mom's, but it's not my favorite, and it was cold outside). Luckily for me, I had the nicest cab driver in the entire world, and he agreed to drop me off at the top of Cherry Hill. It was about a 10 minute walk from where the cab stopped to my mom's, but I made it in 5 because I am scared of the dark so I pretty much ran the entire way.

And that was my first night back home. Flagstaff, I so heart you.



No comments:

Post a Comment