Saturday, March 22, 2014

Saturday thoughts

I've noticed that a lot of bloggers have some sort of organization to their posts, so I'm thinking about doing one every Saturday that is just random thoughts that I've had throughout the week. I haven't decided yet, so check in next Saturday to see if this is actually going to be a thing.

So…..yeah. Here are the thoughts for this week.

1. FRED PHELPS 
Fred Phelps died this week. For those of you who have been hiding under a rock, he's the founder of the Westboro Baptist Church. They're the people who picket funerals, and its pretty much agreed that he was the most hated man alive. He was a truly hateful man, but I'm sort of conflicted on how I feel about his death. Part of me truly does believe that the world is better off without him, but I also feel like a huge hypocrite saying anything disrespectful towards his death, since that sort of behavior is what made him so hated in the first place. I mean obviously he took it to the absolute extreme, but you get what I'm talking about. And according to pretty much every article I've read about his death, he was excommunicated from the church a couple of months ago because he thought they should show more kindness towards others. Whatever the case, he was a deeply troubled man, and I hope the church sort of falls apart without him.

2. DATING IN THE AGE OF SOCIAL MEDIA 
Full disclosure: I haven't had a boyfriend since Myspace was a thing (good lord), so most of this is from observations I have made. I think that social media is sort of ruining dating. These days you meet someone, go home and find their social media profiles, creep on them, then keep your fingers crossed that you don't accidentally reveal something on your coffee date that you found out from some light internet stalking. Also, social media makes it a lot easier to be paranoid about infidelity. "Who is that girl who liked his picture/why is that guy commenting on everything/ oh my God do you think they look like a couple in that Instagram picture?!" These sound insane, but I promise you I have heard people say all of them. I even know someone who made a fake Snapchat profile to see who her boyfriend sends/receives most of his pictures from. What?! And don't even get me started on Internet dating, because that shit is whack.

3. FASHION POLICE
Have you ever watched the show on the E! Network?!  Holy shit, they are brutal. Basically the entire show is Joan Rivers, Kelly Osbourne and some other people discussing what celebrities have been wearing, and it is rough. They're so mean! I'm sorry, but Joan Rivers isn't funny. She is a fucking bully. I'm glad I'm not a celebrity, because I can guarantee that Joan would make me cry over my outfit choices.

4. HOUSE OF CARDS 
I don't know why, but it sort of blows my mind that Princess Buttercup and Claire Underwood are played by the same person. Also, I think I need to go and watch Pay It Forward so I can remind myself that sometimes Kevin Spacey plays nice people and isn't always a scary sociopath.

5. SPACE JAM 
It just came on TV and now I am so excited I can't stand it. Michael Jordan is the best and I will fight anyone who tries to tell me different. This movie is amazing and it should have won every award ever made.

No comments:

Post a Comment